Monday, November 8, 2010

A Taste of PR and Guitar

Why is SDSU senior and classical guitarist Pauline France serenading the (W)right On team? Call it a quid pro quo.

I spent the morning of Oct. 29 sharing my passion for PR with Pauline through the "Taste of PR" program organized by the local PRSA New Pros committee. The program matched seasoned professionals as mentors with young, promising professionals just starting their careers. In exchange, after lunch, she rocked our world with a taste of her passion for music.

Pauline was an excellent candidate for this kind of program. She shared in advance what she hoped to get out of the experience so that we could do our best to deliver. And she asked terrific questions. Best of all, she captured the experience in a great blog post of her own. She seems to have taken away some of the key principles of agency life and, possibly even more impressive to this agency president, knows how to use the plural possessive (*swoon*):

"Some of the things I learned at the firm include time management, managing conflicting priorities, managing clients’ expectations and developing PR proposals. A topic that was often brought up was keeping a healthy balance between your personal and professional life, something that Julie does admirably well!"

Not sure where she got the idea I've figured out how to balance the agency with having a life. Let's just say I try...

Having her job shadow me and lunch with Chance Shay, Heather Hinman and I was a pleasure. Kudos to the New Pros committee for this program, and I encourage other agency executives to consider supporting it next year. You'll get as much as you give!

P.S. Shout out to Sandy Young for the push I needed to participate.

2 comments:

Pauline said...

What a GREAT & FUN post! The video captures the great, sunny environment you and your staff create at (W)right On Communications.

You are truly an amazing, capable woman whom I admire tremendously - seriously! It took only a few minutes to realize how awesome you are. If I were your client, I would trust you blindly to do my PR!

Thanks again for the blog post & video - haha! *SWOON*

Julie Wright said...

Thank you Pauline! Drop by a give us a song anytime. You definitely bring your a sunshine of your own into the room. :-)